01

CONWAY, SC– Conway Medical Center (CMC) Foundation has been awarded a grant for “Partnership in the Pee Dee” from the Lowcountry Affiliate of Susan G. Komen.  This grant partners with The South Carolina Witness Project (SCWP).

Partnership in the Pee Dee will focus on education, outreach, screening and diagnosis of breast cancer.  SCWP is a community-based breast and cervical cancer education program.  SCWP targets women in African American churches, primarily breast cancer survivors, and trains them to become witnesses, to tell their story, educate about breast cancer and increase mammogram screening participation. SCWP will conduct trainings and outreach to individuals in Horry and Marion Counties.   CMC Foundation will then provide services of mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsies if needed.

“This grant will allow us to educate and reach a broader range of individuals that need to be screened.  Our partnership with the South Carolina Witness Project will allow more people in our community to be taught about the benefits of being screened and CMC can provide screenings to these patients.  In turn, we will be able to detect any breast cancers early and ensure quality care,” says Amy Thorn, Certified Breast Health Patient Navigator for CMC’s Center for Breast Health.  CMC currently has a mammography initiative which provides mammograms for uninsured and underinsured women and men.  Since 2005, the CMC Mammography Initiative has helped over 1,500 women.

If you are interested in becoming a Witness or having a Witness presentation in your church or community group, please call Jacqueline Talley at 864-357-8489.  If you would like more information about CMC’s Mammography Initiative please call the Foundation office at 843-347-5895.

Komen Lowcountry funds innovative programs that help women and men overcome the financial, social, cultural, and educational barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment. Through events like the Komen Lowcountry Race for the Cure, the Lowcountry Affiliate has invested more than $6.5 million in community breast cancer programs in the coastal and PeeDee regions. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the 17 county service area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. To learn more about Komen Lowcountry programs and the Lowcountry Race for the Cure, visit www.komenlowcountry.org or call 843-556-8011.  

Actions: E-mail | Permalink |