|Although an evaluation is required for each patient (for more information on Dr. Morris Washington, bariatric surgeon with CPG Coastal Metabolic & Bariatric surgery visit www.coastalbariatric.com), the general guidelines include:
- Being 100 pounds overweight with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above
- BMI of 35 or more with two or more major co-morbidities (major health concerns such as hypertension and diabetes) or BMI of 30 with co-morbidity for the Lap Band procedure
- Non-smoker, no substance and/or alcohol abuse
- At least 18 years of age
- Appropriate motivations and commitment to follow post-surgery guidelines
And remember, the most succesful patients are those who are:
- Educated about surgery
- Motivated to make permanent lifestyle changes which include exercise, supplementation of vitamins, and healthy food choices.
- Willing to seek continued support from others who have had the surgery.